02/21 Etch install -- DHCP fails for Realtek 8139

I'm attempting a Debian install on a Compaq desktop that I purchased late last year. I've managed to coax it through almost all the process (including a 3-day-long partitioning/formatting process for my 250GB HDD), but I'm stuck at the "Install the base system" step because I can't get networking up.

The installer appears to recognize my card (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd RTL-8139/813/8139C+ (rev 10)) properly and load the correct modules (8139cp, 8139too, mii, eth1394, ieee1394) during the "Detect Network Hardware" step, but fails in the "Configure the network" step.

If I then run ifconfig in a separate VT, I can see lo, but not eth0. Running 'ifconfig eth0 up' succeeds and I can see eth0, but running dhclient merely results in multiple messages like "DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6," followed by "No DHCPOFFERS received" and "No working leases in persistent database."

I can't really think of anything else to try at this point, but don't really want to give up after finally finding an installer that supports my SATA driver and waiting 3 days for the drive to get formatted. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get the install process over this bump?

TIA