Re: (Severe?) Performance issues with ext3 created on RAID5 with partman

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:24:02PM +0100, Leo Bogert wrote:
> Please read again. The problem is that although the RAID5 is capable of 100
> MB/s the ext3 filesystem limits it to only 50 MB/s which is obviously a very
> bad bottleneck.

What speed does ext3 get on a single drive then?

> I should have stressed that reading from the ext3 is limited to 51 MB/s.

Measured how?  It isn't unusualy to have less speed from the filesystem
than the raw device.  There is some overhead after all, and you are
seeking around.  dd is sequential which is optimal for performance.

Len Sorensen