Re: Marvell SATA Driver

Sven Luther wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2006 at 05:15:57PM +1100, Vaibhav Agrawal wrote:

>> Hi All, I'm not able to install Debian Stable 3.1 r1 on Super
>> Micro Server 6014H-T, during installation when it reaches the
>> partition hd section, it says can not find any media to
>> partition. I know the problem here is the SATA controller which
>> is Marvell (Adaptec) 4-port / 8-port SATA Driver (Hercules-II), I
>> can install Windows 2003 Server after downloading and installing
>> addition drivers from Supermicro website.
>>
>> The other option i have got is to install SUSE or FreeBSD, but I
>> don't wanted to install anything other than Debian.
>

> sid 2.6.15 kernel has mv_sata, which is a libata based marvell sata
> driver. It fails horribly on powerpc so i was not able to try it
> out.
>
> There is also a standalone driver distributed by marvell which you
> can download and build as an external module. The module in
> question is or has long been non-free, so it could naturally not
> have been included in debian. Actually it was of the 'you don't
> even have right to look at the sources' kind of non-free even :)
>
> Just install a 2.6.15 kernel on your sarge box (with backported
> udev, klibc, initramfs-tools and co), and it shoulod be fine, or if
> you need the installer use a daily build or an upcoming etch beta2
> installer image.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

I successfully compiled and insmod the driver during debian

installation, just before the installer check for partionable media.
Installer found the hard disk and installed the base system and then
reboot. Then it through a kernel panic, after saying "FATAL module
mvSata not found".
I understand the reason for this, the module is on the hard disk which
the system can not use without access to the hard disk.
I also
1. cp mv_sata.ko /target/lib/modules/2.6.8-2-ct-1/kernel/drivers/scsi,
2. update-modules
3. depmod -d /target -a -C /target/etc/modules.conf

but i can't create a initrd image using
mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-ct-1 2.6.8-2-ct-1

if the image is not correct, it will not load the module and fail

any other ideas???

currently i'm considering other options like
1. have the root partition (containing the module) on a usb stick and
then load the other partition on the sata hard drive later,
2. buying another sata contoller supported by debian

any help will be appreciated.

please don't let me part from debian  :(

regards,
Vaibhav.