"no partionable media ... " error, follow-up

> I just built a machine and I am trying to install sarge.
> The installer does not recognize the sata hard disk, and reports
> "no partitionable media were found".  I have
> tried "linux26", "expert26" and the testing
> etch installer with no luck.  I have also tried all of the
> bios sata choices with no luck (SATA as storage, SATA as RAID,
> Enable SATA as IDE).  Using the expert26, it gave me a long list
> of drivers and I tried several but I have no idea which
> might work.

> The machine was able to boot from a DOS floppy disk, then partition,
> format and use the hard disk from DOS, so I know that the hardware is
> working.  Here is the setup:

> Motherboard:  MSI RS482M-IL

> CPU:  AMD Sempron 3100+

> Disk:  WD 250 GB 2500KS SATA

> Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

> I also posted on forums.debian.net in the installer forum.  I am not
> sure which place is more appropriate/widely read.

> Burke
> ---------------

> Could you do that without HTML so all of us can read that?
> Also  ATI  chipsets have VERY VERY bad support, although 2.6.12
> seems to
> help. 2.6.8 (what sarge uses) is pretty hopeless.
> Perhaps  your  chipset  requires an even newer kernel. An lspci
> list would
> be handy, at least for the storage controller:
> lspci -n |grep 010
> You  can  do  that  pretty  much any time during the install by
> going to
> console 2.
> Len Sorensen
> ---------------------------
> Thanks for your help, and sorry about the HTML.  I pasted the
> original
> message above in plain text.

> How do I switch to console 2 during the install?  And if I did, how
> would I capture the output since I don't have a working disk?  I
> guess I could read it on one screen and type it into another
> (ten finger interface) but that seems painful.

> Burke Murray

Thanks for your offers to help.  I tried installing ubuntu (breezy) last night and that worked like a champ, so I am going with that.  I am willing to test out new installers if anyone is interested in pursuing it but otherwise I will go on my merry way.

Burke Murray

Washington DC's Largest FREE Email service. ---> http://www.DCemail.com ---> A Washington Online Community Member --->
http://www.DCpages.com