Debian-Installer etch beta 1 : cdrom drive not detected

Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to report a bug with the debian-installer etch beta 1 while installing the kernel 2.6.12 for i386

If this is not the proper place to report that bug, thanks for telling me where to report it.

the target hardware is Sun Cobalt LX50 with ide cdrom

When installing debian testing using the netinst CD (debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso), after choosing the language and keyboard layout, the installer is trying to detect hardware to find cdrom (loading module AIC7XXX : for a long time)

Then I get an error message
= = = = =
Detect and mount CDROM
Error while running 'modprobe -v ide-generic'
No CDROM drive was detected
= = = = =

if I change terminal and type 'ls /dev'
there is no trace of /dev/cdrom or /dev/hda

On another identical Sun hardware running sarge with kernel 2.6.8, the cdrom is /dev/cdrom ->/dev/hda

The workaround I found was to first install etch with a 2.4 kernel then the cdrom is detected ok. After installation is complete, I upgraded to the 2.6.12 kernel with aptitude.

If any futher tests are needed, I will be happy to help.

Best regards

Olivier RICHE, Computing officer

University of Ulster, School of Biomedical Sciences,
Bioinformatics Research group
Cromore Road, Coleraine BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland
http://www.bioinformatics.ulster.ac.uk
phone: +44-(0)28-70-323205
fax: +44 (0)28-70-324375
email: o.riche@ulster.ac.uk