Re: [pkgsel] Add xresprobe, discover and laptop detect for hw detection

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:25:31AM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:

> > > I may do it on the purely xresprobe level, as time permits. not sure if i want
> > > to handle the x scripts though.
> >
> > Looks like xresprove should be the harder part. After have the need
> > information available, it need to be used. I might be wrong.
>
> I don't expect xresprobe to be hard.  There are two parts which will be
> hard:
>   a) making the xserver-xorg scripts understand multiple input and
>      output devices, and
>   b) getting DDC on multiple devices.
>
> Right now we generally do DDC via VBE, which is kind of difficult when

Ah, i was mostly interested in the PPC case, where you get the EDID from
either the OF device-tree or from radeonfb /sys node.

> you have multiple cards.  Doable, but really really nasty.  So what you
> really want is the drivers to be split out into Xorg drivers, but also
> libraries where you can initialise the card, look at its outputs, and
> figure things out for yourself.  But that's, uhm, a bit of a pipe dream.

Well, so let's do it for non-braindead hardware :)

> Also, one of the more difficult things to do properly is multiple
> outputs on single cards, especially when it comes to laptops with
> external displays.

Mmm, i believe again that both heads will provide the the above information on
powerpc.

> It's not at all trivial, but fixing xresprobe is definitely the easiest
> part.  Working out what you'll do about DDC, and fixing xserver-xorg;
> now that's the hard part.

I think the most difficult part will be to come up with a nice user interface
for xresprobe and co to handle this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther