Re: Merging partman

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 10:01:01AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:

> Actually I suppose it would be possible to write a top-level debian/
> directory that just calls debian/rules in all the subdirectories and
> collects together the results, so that there's no duplication and the
> subdirectories themselves remain valid source packages that one can use
> as examples. Anton, would that be acceptable to you?

Yes, that is fine.  It is possible also to make debian/rules in the
subdirectories sensitive so for example the -Os flag is not given to
gcc.

> > > How about renaming partman to partman-core, to free up the name? That
> > > makes more sense to me anyway.
> >
> > Or partman-base. Makes sense.
>
> I like partman-base. If there are no objections, I'll do that rename
> this week.

All that is good.

One problem I am having with the bugs of partman is that the
package partman is holder both for bugs belonging to partman-base and
for bugs that have not been sorted.  So what about this:

partman becomes partman-base (the current udeb)
partman-deb is the source package of the top-level partman directory
partman is the binary package

That way the users will simply send bug reports to partman.  Then the
bugs that are specific to the deb package will be reassigned to
partman-deb and similarly for the bugs that are specific for some of the
udeb-components.

By the way I'm sorry for responding so late.  I think that in August I
will be able to do some hacking for partman.  Unfortunately I feel that
after so long interrupt I will need some time to remember things. :-(

Anton Zinoviev