problems installing woody using a custom kernel

Hello,

I am installing woody on an IBM PS/2 Model 77. (Note:
I cannot load the rescue floppy from the CD-ROM,
because I made a custom rescue floppy.) Since this
machine uses a MCA bus (not ISA, not EISA, not PCI), I
made a custom kernel (from kernel-source-2.4.18) with
the following configuration:

In Makefile:
VERSION = 2
PATCHLEVEL = 4
SUBLEVEL = 18
EXTRAVERSION = -bf2.4
KERNELRELEASE=$(VERSION).$(PATCHLEVEL).$(SUBLEVEL)$(EXTRAVERSION)

In .config:
CONFIG_X86=y
CONFIG_M486=y
CONFIG_MCA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_IBMMCA=y
CONFIG_IBMMCA_SCSI_ORDER_STANDARD=y
CONFIG_NE2_MCA=y

To make my "own" rescue and root floppies, I start
with the bf2.4 rescue.bin and root.bin floppies from
woody. I mount the rescue floppy on /floppy, then I do
the following:

make bzImage
rm /floppy/config.gz
cp .config /floppy/config
gzip /floppy/config
rm /floppy/sys_map.gz
cp System.map /floppy/
gzip /floppy/System.map
mv /floppy/System.map.gz /floppy/sys_map.gz
rm /floppy/linux.bin
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /floppy/linux.bin
umount /floppy

Then I boot from the rescue floppy. Debian can
* boot,
* detect the required hardware,
* mount the root floppy,
* edit the partition table
* create and activate the swap partition
* create and mount the filesystems

The problem occurs at the "Install kernel and driver
modules" step.
I choose to load the rescue floppy from the /dev/fd0
device. (Note: I cannot load the rescue floppy from
the CD-ROM, because I made a custom rescue floppy.
However, the CD-ROM drive is detected by Debian and it
can mount CD-ROMs.)
I insert the rescue floppy in the first floppy drive,
but Debian always says:
"Unable to mount the rescue floppy. You may have
inserted the wrong floppy. Please try again"

... any ideas ?