Re: preseed/include* substitution

Philip Hands wrote:
> Laying awake last night, it occurs to me that I could make my preseed setup
> much simpler if we added a small feature to the processing of
> preseed/include* settings.
>
> The idea is that we indicate in some way that the file retrieved should be
> executed, and it's output used as the preseed file, rather than the file
> itself.
>
> For example, we could treat filenames containing a pipe (|) as the last
> character as something to execute.
>
> So, taking an example from my preseed stuff, we might have:
>
>   d-i preseed/include string chain_to_preseed2.sh|

Hmm, I'm not opposed to doing that, but maybe there is a way to
generalize it and make it more useful.

One thing preseeders proably want to do is cause their own scripts to be
downloaded and ran to do arbitrary things (not just preseeding). The
early and late commands allow this, but they run into the same
scalability issues as include_command. And it would be a good thing if
there was a natural path from developing these scripts for preseeding,
to later including them in a udeb.

So maybe make the early and late commands be scripts downloaded same as
preseed files, and allow them to easily download other preseed files
too, from the same locations they were downloaded from.

Maybe I'm overdesigning though, and I have no problem accepting your
patch in the meantime, if it works.

--
see shy jo