Re: Is "preseeding the root password with a MD5 hash" an interesting feature for d-i?

I would like to see an option to lock the root password so that the
root account can only be accessed via an ssh key.

I also think that an md5 hash feature to set the password would be good.
Perhaps the we could make the debconf answer have a format a bit like
this. (pseudo code!)

if   string.startswith("md5:")
then
	string.strip("md5:")
	setmd5hash(string)
elif string.startswith("ssh:")
then
	string.strip("ssh:")
	lockrootaccount
        set_sshauthorisedkeys(string)
elif  string.startswith("txt:")
then
	string.strip("txt:")
	setcleartextpasswd(string)
else
	setcleartextpasswd(string)
fi

I guess this is a hack though and different debconf questions would be
needed for each?

Bye for now
Alex Owen

[appologies for "non thrededness" of this message - I'm reading via web
archive!]