Re: installing directly onto disks controlled by an adaptec 2?10SA raid controller

Frans Pop wrote:

On Thursday 09 June 2005 03:26, Simon wrote:
I'm just a bit worried and surprised that these adaptec controllers
aren't supported by sarge's installer when they appear to be in wide
use commercially and supported by adaptec since mid-2003 (and there is
some time pressure involved unfortunately). Red Hat and Suse seem to
have support out-of-the-box but they are not where we want to go with
these HP servers.

Note: Debian is not commercial and thus tends to follow kernel development more than being proactive about it. If you need a proactive distribution, you'll have to pay the cost associated with that.

The aacraid source is GPL (copyright Red Hat and Adaptec) and is
included in the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. I don't yet know which kernel the
sarge installer is using, so perhaps aacraid is very back-level there.

Attached is the README for the aacraid driver included with the 2.6.8 kernel sources Debian (and the installer) is currently using.
Also the README from the 2.6.11 kernel source.

We hope to be able to provide an installer with a 2.6.11 kernel fairly soon. So patience...

Cheers,
FJP

AACRAID Driver for Linux (take two)

Introduction
-------------------------
The aacraid driver adds support for Adaptec (http://www.adaptec.com)
RAID controllers. This is a major rewrite from the original Adaptec supplied driver. It has signficantly cleaned up both the code
and the running binary size (the module is less than half the size of
the original).

Supported Cards/Chipsets
-------------------------
	AAR-2410SA SATA
	Adaptec 2120S
	Adaptec 2200S
	Adaptec 2230S
	Adaptec 3230S
	Adaptec 3240S
	Adaptec 5400S
	ASR-2020S PCI-X
	Dell PERC 2 Quad Channel
	Dell PERC 2/Si
	Dell PERC 3/Si
	Dell PERC 3/Di
	Dell CERC 2
	HP NetRAID-4M
	Legend S220
	Legend S230

People
-------------------------
Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com>
Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>	(updates for new-style PCI probing and SCSI host registration,
					 small cleanups/fixes)
Matt Domsch <matt_domsch@dell.com>	(revision ioctl, adapter messages)
Deanna Bonds <deanna_bonds@adaptec.com> (non-DASD support, PAE fibs and 64 bit, added new adaptec controllers
					 added new ioctls, changed scsi interface to use new error handler,
					 increased the number of fibs and outstanding commands to a container)

					(fixed 64bit and 64G memory model, changed confusing naming convention
					 where fibs that go to the hardware are consistently called hw_fibs and
					 not just fibs like the name of the driver tracking structure)
Mark Salyzyn <Mark_Salyzyn@adaptec.com> Fixed panic issues and added some new product ids for upcoming hbas.

Original Driver
Also note this is very different to Brian's original driver
so don't expect him to support it.
Adaptec does support this driver.  Contact either tech support or Mark Salyzyn.

Original by Brian Boerner February 2001
Rewritten by Alan Cox, November 2001

AACRAID Driver for Linux (take two)

Introduction
-------------------------
The aacraid driver adds support for Adaptec (http://www.adaptec.com)
RAID controllers. This is a major rewrite from the original Adaptec supplied driver. It has signficantly cleaned up both the code
and the running binary size (the module is less than half the size of
the original).

Supported Cards/Chipsets
-------------------------
	Adaptec 2020S
	Adaptec 2025S
	Adaptec 2120S
	Adaptec 2200S
	Adaptec 2230S
	Adaptec 2240S
	Adaptec 2410SA
	Adaptec 2610SA
	Adaptec 2810SA
	Adaptec 21610SA
	Adaptec 3230S
	Adaptec 3240S
	Adaptec 4000SAS
	Adaptec 4005SAS
	Adaptec 4800SAS
	Adaptec 4805SAS
	Adaptec 5400S
	Dell PERC 2 Quad Channel
	Dell PERC 2/Si
	Dell PERC 3/Si
	Dell PERC 3/Di
	Dell CERC 2
	HP NetRAID-4M
	Legend S220
	Legend S230

People
-------------------------
Alan Cox <alan@redhat.com>
Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>	(updates for new-style PCI probing and SCSI host registration,
					 small cleanups/fixes)
Matt Domsch <matt_domsch@dell.com>	(revision ioctl, adapter messages)
Deanna Bonds                            (non-DASD support, PAE fibs and 64 bit, added new adaptec controllers
					 added new ioctls, changed scsi interface to use new error handler,
					 increased the number of fibs and outstanding commands to a container)

					(fixed 64bit and 64G memory model, changed confusing naming convention
					 where fibs that go to the hardware are consistently called hw_fibs and
					 not just fibs like the name of the driver tracking structure)
Mark Salyzyn <Mark_Salyzyn@adaptec.com> Fixed panic issues and added some new product ids for upcoming hbas.

Original Driver
Also note this is very different to Brian's original driver
so don't expect him to support it.
Adaptec does support this driver.  Contact either tech support or Mark Salyzyn.

Original by Brian Boerner February 2001
Rewritten by Alan Cox, November 2001
Frans, thanks for digging this up and posting it.

A final followup; after seeing this post I tried Ubuntu 5.04 and its installer recognises everything including the 2610SA and the ML110's on-board ethernet/video. We may not use Ubuntu in the end but it is nice to see support for this hardware appearing in a debian-related distribution.

Thanks again for the help advice,
Simon