Building installer generates missing module errors for modules that are present

I'm trying to build a custom installer with a 2.6.12-rc6 kernel because it contains a new driver required by my new portable (scsi_sata_promise, which supports the Promise sata378 Tx2plus scsi controller on a Sager 9880). I've been making various changes to the modules lists in debian-installer and kernel-wedge to conform to 2.6.12-rc6, deleting modules no longer present and adding new modules that I need (like scsi_sata_promise). However, I am getting incorrect "missing module" errors on the dpkg-buildpackage of linux-kernel-di-i386-2.6. E.g., right now I'm at "missing module blk_dev_sd". I've changed what was "sd" in the module lists to the name in 2.6.12-rc6, which is blk_dev_sd. blk_dev_sd is in the kernel-image I built, installed, and is being picked up by the dpkg-buildpackage.

Is there something else I need to do to get the build to find this module properly?

One other question. Once I get the kernel udebs built properly, I'm curious how the build of the installer is going to know to use these kernel udebs instead of the 2.6.8 version it normally uses. I built one mini.iso already without building the kernel udebs first and it just used the 2.6.8 kernel. The documentation seems vague on this point. Is anything specifically required in the installer build to ensure it gets my 2.6.12-rc6 udebs?

Thanks for any tips.

Chuck