Re: ppc64 biarch toolchain and 64bit powerpc kernels ...

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:36:08PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:16:02PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 07:09:51PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > timeframe to get a ppc64 biarch toolchain in sid or even experimental ? Or
> > > should i rely on the ubuntu toolchain, and use that to upload kernels to sid
> > > in the near future ? Together with a statically built procps naturally ?
> >
> > The sid procpc works just fine with ppc64 kernel, no need to mess with
> > it at all.
>
> Oh, fine, so there is no risk of overflow of the process id.

The process id in Linux is always 32bits, and unless you tweak
/proc/sys/kernel/pid-max the actual range used is even smaller.

> What about the sarge procps ?

It shouldn't be any different.  I have been running ppc64 kernels with
sarge for a long time.  And if there's a bug in procps somewhere where
it can't deal with some fields beeing bigger in 64bit kernels that
should be fixed in procps instead of needing another set of binaries.