cdebconf header file reorganisation?

I'd like to move cdebconf's header files around a little bit so that
it's possible to build cdebconf plugins from packages other than
cdebconf. This should be useful for the graphical installer project.

Specifically, I'd like to ship at least common.h, and probably at least
frontend.h and question.h as well, in libdebconfclient0-dev (which isn't
quite perfect, but it's close enough, and it saves creating a tiny
package for just a couple of header files). This means shipping config.h
and debug.h too, since common.h includes those.

Since having header files that #include "config.h" under /usr/include is
bad karma, I'd like to make them #include "cdebconf/config.h" instead.
However, in order to do this and keep everything building in-tree, I'd
have to move src/*.h to include/cdebconf/*.h and change all #includes in
the tree to use "cdebconf/foo.h" rather than "foo.h".

Is this the easiest way to do it, or would people prefer I took a
different approach?