Re: debian-installer alpha platform titan/privateer

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:06:22AM -0500, BCIV.Collins@med.va.gov wrote:
> I'm stumped.  I really don't recall using the kernel from RedHat.  Isn't
> aboot completely impartial to any kernel configuration as a boot loader?

I haven't looked at the code, but AIUI the kernel image specifies its own
load address via $unspecified_mechanism, and there's no single load address
that works for all models of alpha due to firmware differences.

> After which, I booted and was prompted for language, keyboard, up to the
> point where a drive to partition and install to couldn't be found because I
> didn't have a working driver for my old emulex fibre channel cards at the
> time perhaps this is where I would have noticed that there were module
> problems?

Yes, that could indeed be the case...

> I'll reattempt the Debian install with the same RedHat aboot again with an
> IDE drive in my other ES45 to see if there was a problem with the kernel
> after that point.  Thanks.

Ok, I look forward to hearing back from you about this. :)

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer