Re: cdebconf X_SETBACKTITLE command

I think what I dislike about the setbacktitle command is how specific it
is to the dialog frontend, and how it's not clear how or if any other
frontends should implement it. Maybe we should generalise a bit from the
reason Colin needs it -- the basic need is for a way to give the user
information out of band about the overall process they're engaged
in using debconf, or perhaps even more generally, any information that
they don't really need to explicitly confirm they've read, as they do a
note.

I can think of a few similar things -- one might be a similar backtitle
during an apt upgrade that said "System update" or whatever. Another
could be telling the user that a debian installation is running, along
with the build version. Perhaps with some additional interesting info,
such as an estimated ETA for the entire install. Perhaps, as Pere
mentioned, we might want to display some longer texts during the
debootstrap process, to give the user something to read. Maybe a little
intro to Debian or something. I may be getting too ambitious, but that's
a good spectrum of potential uses.

I can think of two approaches now:

 - How about calling the command INFO, and allowing it to display a debconf
   note (or similar template type): "INFO foo". Probaly only the short
   description would be displayed, though we could get more ambitous and
   try to support longer texts if something like a progress bar is all
   that's being displayed otherwise. Display of the info at all would be
   up to the frontend, so the information cannot be something the user
   strictly needs to complete their process, just some additional
   information. Frontends would attempt to display the info
   persistently, so it's available for the user to read until some other
   info comes along. Note the analogy to "PROGRESS INFO".
 - Or, it could be a template of Type: info, which is displayed via INPUT
   in the regular way, and the frontend then replaces any previous info
   it was displaying with the new one.

On balance, I prefer the first of these, since it doesn't overload INPUT
to perform (yet another) non-input-related action, and it allows more
than one type of template to be displayed as info, for future expansion.

--
see shy jo