Re: [powerpc] Problems with logical volume setup during installation

    "Sven" == Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

    Sven> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:21:35PM -0800, Shyamal Prasad
    Sven> wrote:

    >>  Okay. I suppose this (powermac lvm for d-i) might not happen
    >> by the time Sarge releases. I'd be happy to take a look at it,
    >> but I might not have the skills and/or time....

    Sven> No, the code is trivial (one small parted change, and one
    Sven> upload of parted to move into sarge), what needs doing is
    Sven> discussing this with other distros which run on powermac and
    Sven> lvm upstream.

Hmmm...I'm still trying to understand what the consensus (solution)
should be. Please correct me where/if I'm wrong below, :

1) PowerMac does not currently have Partition types for Linux. Today
we are just using an Apple defined type (Apple_UNIX_SVR2) which is
"safe".

2) LVM tools can't tell which partitions contain LVM volumes because
there is no standard partition type for them. It is not sufficient to
look at an Apple_UNIX_SVR2 partition and determine if it contains
physical volumes (yes? why?).

3) A proposal (from Sven, for example) is to use 'Linux LVM' as a
partition type on PowerMac systems.

4) The parition *name* will not have any real effect on this setup. It
is far too easy for users to change names.

5) The consensus on this paritition type will have to involve upstream
lvm and then d-i and partman can be fixed in Debian to use this
type. If upstream lvm agrees, then all Distro's will end up using
'Linux LVM' as the type and there will be no compatibility problems in
the future.

6) It seems that a single 'Linux LVM' type is enough. Is there not a
need to tell between LVM1 and LVM2 partitions? There must still be a
lot of 2.4.x users out there....

I'm willing to do any grunt work to get this consensus (with any
corrections for my ignorance, I'm presuming this really is grunt
work), but I'm not even sure where to start. I don't even know who LVM
upstream really is (the HOTWO at tldp is from Redhat, are they the LVM
upstream). Or did Michael Schmitz already offer to drive this?

    >> Does the Sarge ppc installation manual needs an update for the

    Sven> As i understand manual modifications are too late anyway,
    Sven> but then it would be easier to fix the issue.

Since Frans pointed out that this is actually possible I will probably
write an bug and propose a patch in any case.

Cheers!
Shyamal (who never suspected powerpc would be all this fun ;-)