Re: Desktop task broken on !(i386/powerpc)

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 01:17:18PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joerg Friedrich wrote:
> > Because the user is aware of what he wants to use and does not need the
> > other part of the world.
>
> You've just described the class of users whom the debian task system is
> not designed. There exist plenty of users who do *not* know what
> software they want, and just want a reasonale selection of best-of-class
> software; these are the core audience for tasksel.

Yes, sure, but the current desktop tasks is simply a too big granularity to be
really usefull.

Ideally, the tasksel stuff would be rewritten with subtasks support, and some
kind of priority scheme, where you could look at it on one priority and have
just dekstop, and then have more selective choice at a lower priority. This is
sarge+1 stuff by now though, i guess.

But the current tasksel situation is severly broken all the same, even if we
know we don't have the time or the will to fix it before sarge.

Friendly,

Sven Luther