Sarge branch build fails due to supposedly missing packages

Well the pic libraries issue seems to be cleared up now - don't know why
dpkg-checkbuilddeps didn't catch on, but oh well.

Now I'm running into another problem with building the sarge branch as
you can see from the following build log for the sarge branch (as of
12:30 am EST 2004/01/03)

The thing is that everything that this build claims is missing isn't.
Any clues please?

Oh, and please pardon the previous message with the full build log, when
I get frustrated, I don't necessarily think entirely clearly about the
best way to report the problem, as you may have noticed.

I'm using
deb http://debian.yorku.ca/debian testing main/debian-installer
in sources.list.udeb.local and have commented out sources.list.udeb

and this is a make build_floppy_access

(set -e; \

<snip>

Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
** warning: in access-net-drivers, network-preseed has unsatisfied
dependency on preseed-common

Since I don't know how the preseeding works, I don't know whether
preseed-common only exists when you are preseeding, or if this message
really shouldn't be showing up, especially since I'm using a full
mirror, that has every package I checked up on (those below).

<snip>

Uhm, why is discover1 being removed here?  I'm using debian.yorku.ca,
which is an up-to-date mirror so any dependencies should be available,
but the fact discover1 is being removed suggests that the build thinks a
dependency is not available.

Building Dependency Tree...
~  archdetect cdebconf-udeb dhcp-client-udeb di-utils discover-data-udeb
~  discover-udeb ethdetect hw-detect kernel-image-2.4.27-speakup-di
libiw27-udeb
~  netcfg preseed-common rootskel
The following packages will be REMOVED:
~  discover1
~  archdetect cdebconf-udeb dhcp-client-udeb di-utils discover-data-udeb

<snip>

Ign http://debian.yorku.ca unstable/main/debian-installer Release
Reading Package Lists...
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
** warning: in access, brltty-modules-2.4.27-speakup-di has unsatisfied
dependency on usb-modules-2.4.27-speakup-di
** warning: in access, serial-modules-2.4.27-speakup-di has unsatisfied
dependency on pcmcia-modules-2.4.27-speakup-di

But they're on the mirror.  I swear I checked this out.  Something fishy
is going on here...

<snip>

Get:31 http://debian.yorku.ca unstable/main/debian-installer
socket-modules-2.4.27-speakup-di 1.02 [18.9kB]
Fetched 1654kB in 5s (302kB/s)
Download complete and in download only mode
Needed libdebian-installer4-udeb not found (looked in
apt.udeb/cache/archives/, localudebs/, debugudebs/)

libdebian-installer4-udeb is installed on my system (added because of
this message, as well as the .deb), and is on the mirror, so why is this
message showing up?

Any useful suggestions would be welcome.