regarding Install

To whom this may concern,
After booting up the Debian Etch cd it didn't give me an option to choose what hard drive to use. So after giving up after several errors while attempting an install, I noticed that it wiped out my 300GB storage drive and my main Windows Drive. My Mepis drive was intact but the Windows and all Storage related to it was wiped clean. I have lost everything that I have which includes pictures, resumes, documents, tons of music, and EVERYTHING that my mother left on her computer after she died. I have refused to ever attempt a Debian install again and I hope that you can fix this so it does not happen to other users in the future. We MUST be given an option of what hard drive to use for install.
-Matt Ulrey