Cross installation i386 to powerpc

Hi there!

I'm a little new to 'self doing special boot procedures' but still read
a lot about this topic (but may be not about the one scenario I need).

The target of my current investigation is installation of debian on my
ds101g+ from synology which has a Flash (preinstalled linux 2.4.22) and
I only want as a first step to install debian on a chroot.

arch: powerpc

This NAS has Internal Harddisk and I'm trying this chroot on my USB
disk.

Most HOWTOs describe to use debootstrap. Since debootstrap requires "ar"
which is not available on target host, debootstrap is terminating with
error messages of unavailable ar at a later point.
I expect the need building my chroot on a other machine. Since this
building machine is i386, this would result in a cross-platform
debootstrap, where I see that debootstrap tries to mount target which
results in error messages about incompatible binary.

What is the right way to setup such a target?

Thanks for any help

| Miro Dietiker                 |  | MD Systems Miro Dietiker      |