Re: Status of partman-crypto... and partman?

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 08:48:26PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 04:04:14PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> > I'd like to inquire about the status of partman in general.  LVM and
> > RAID support are both not optimal and Anton Zinoviev said he'd try to
> > integrate them better after sarge.  What's the status of partman and
> > are any major changes planned?
>
> It is difficult to talk about plans and terms, but my plan is this:
>
> 1. Move the knowledge about the boot partitions (palo and powerpc)
> outside of the recipies.  That way for many of the architectures there
> will be no need to duplicate the recipies, it will be easier to
> enforce special requiremens such as special location of the partition
> or the reuse of already existing boot partition.

Notice also that we have a couple of .udebs dealing for basically the same
kind of thing, namely setup of boot partitions. The code is mostly identic for
palo, prep, newworld, and maybe some other, and having a more common code base
for these will make maintainability much better.

Friendly,

Sven Luther