Re: Attempt to get a simpler setup of console fonts for systems installed by D-I

Hi,

* Christian Perrier [2005-12-13 19:18:14+0100]
> The mechanism currently used in D-I to decide which *console* font is
> to be made the default for the Linux console (i.e. in non graphical
> environment) is based on a per-language decision.
[...]
> As a consequence, I think we could simplify all this.
>
> As a first attempt, I propose changing the default font to "ter-v16f"
> for all languages of the Latin-1, Latin-2 families, as well as
> Turkish, Kurdish, Romanian.

IMO, this would be an appropriate change.  If you recall, I had made a
similar proposal (through a private mail, a year ago).

[...]
> So, please, translators, make the following tests at the Linux console
> (aka outside X):
>
> 1) backup /etc/console-tools/config
> 2) aptitude install console-terminus
> 3) change the SCREEN_FONT entry in /etc/console-tools/config to
>    "ter-v16f"
> 4) reconfigure the console: "/etc/init.d/console-screen.sh start"

No need to edit /etc/console-tools/config for testing purposes.  Just
issue the following command:

    consolechars -f ter-v16f

[Declare a charset with the '-m' switch if required, see consolechars(8)
 for details.]

BTW, Turkish is OK with ter-v16f.

--
roktas