No modules.dep on AMD64

Hi.

I am trying to install Etch, but I get the following problem: the installer
starts (the screen becomes blue, and ^L allows to see the menu for a few
milliseconds), but the screen is cluttered by very fast repetitions of the
following message:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.14-2-amd64-generic/modules.dep:
 No such file or directory

The problem is the same with install and expert, with the netinst and
businesscard ISO, with the beta1 or the latest version, with a CD-RW or an
USB mass-storage stick.

Obviously there is something wrong at the very beginning of the boot
sequence, but I have no time to read it, and I did not manage to hit
scroll-lock soon enough; debug options were no good either.

Could anyone point me to a way to solve this problem?

The box is an Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George