Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Frans Pop wrote:
On Tuesday 06 December 2005 21:39, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

Vice versa, i think we can for sure "tell" the GTK frontend to reload
gtkrc, but what would be the most appropriate way? adding a
frontend_reload_fonts() function to the cdebconf frontend API?

We'd need to be able to call it from localechooser, which is a script, not a C program. Maybe a small utility program (e.g. /bin/gtkrc-reload) that can be called from a script could be written to do this?

ok, but then the cdebconf would have to wait on a named pipe o something like that to know when gtkrc has to be reloaded: seems a bit hacky..

I think parsing the gtkrc file at every frontend_initialize() call
would be the best way to reload updated fonts preferences.

Well, we only need the update when a different language is selected.

i think the best thing to do a real-world test to state if reloading gtkrc impacts so much on system performances: as soon as we have something to work on i could do some performance testing. I also think bug #341229 should be renamed to something like "Wrong font set selected for various non-latin fonts": who's going to describe in a detaled way what the bug is caused by and proposed solutions (davide)?

Attilio