Re: etch graphical installer does not work on G5 PowerMac?

Hi alltogether!

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 11:34:53PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 09:12:21AM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 08:05 -0800, Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, it is an Nvidia GeForce card, unfortunately that is what Apple
> > > sells with these machines. I'll swap it when I can but for now I'm
> > > stuck with it.
> > >
> > > So, I tried the daily build. It boots fine, but the installer (more
> > > likely the fb itself) does not do anything useful with the nvidia
> > > card. It just flashes (white) the screen (black background) every few
> > > seconds. I can switch to a vt and use the shell, but the screen
> > > continues the flash at the same rate.
> >
> > nvidiafb  on recent kernels should work fine, as should the X "nv"
> > driver...
>
> Well, this is 2.6.14, is this recent enough ? And the problem is not so much
> plain fbdev, but the directfb and gtk-directfb layers over it.
>
> Could you try passing the directfb noaccel option ? not sure exactly how, but
> Attilio could help you there. This is similar of what happens with atyfb and
> rage 128 chips. Right now we only had success on the x86 vesafb and radeonfb.

I tried the gtk installer now on a B&W G3 with a Rage 128 and on my nVidia
based PowerBook 12" and I got the described flashing only if I tried to
use video=ofonly. To me this description sounds like no driver feels
responsible for the graphics card and leaves it for of frame buffer.

With best wishes,

Wolfi