Bug #316484 and graphical installer on AMD64

Hi

recently andrew laughton has reported the graphical instaler to be unusable on AMD64 because of continuous crashes (see my previous mail on this ML answering to andrew's bugreport) I remember of #316484 bug to have been partially fixed in cdebconf but not in dpkg-reconfigure.c and debconf-communicate.c: could this be the cause of such crashes in AMD64 graphical miniiso images? If i've correctly understood the bugreport filed by colin watson the problem is in the lack of semaphores in the function than handles signals, where handled signals are:
-SIGCHLD: all zombie childs (cdebconf client apps) are terminated
-SIGUSR1: cdebconf saves the questions back into the database but does not quit. -SIGTERM or SIGINT: cdebconf saves the questions back into the database and then quits. The bug could be corrected if someone writes the code that adds to dpkg-reconfigure and debconf-communicate a semaphore system in the sighandler() function like that implemented for cdebconf: would a patch be welcomed and meybe would it help in making the graphical instaler more stable on AMD64?

Attilio