Re: beta status

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 02:00:03PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 05:53:53AM -0700, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> > > Still not in debian/main, so amiboot needs to go to contrib.
> >
> > libnix is an AmigaOS library, and is available on aminet, which IIRC predates
> > Debian by a couple of years. Do you want to ship all free software on aminet
> > with Debian now, too?
>
> Well, it depends on stuff outside of main for use/build, so cannot go in main.

It is an AmigaOS binary, built from free source with free compilers. So we just have to
include all the free AmigaOS software to be able to ship a precompiled amiboot? As I said,
no problem with me, maybe we include all free TOS and MacOS software as well, ataboot and
Penguin have to be compiled somehow as well. So why not include aminet, and what ever are
the counterparts for atari, mac, maybe C64, Pet2001, those were nice machines as well,
and maybe we still use something that was first developed on one of those machines. Would
be a big boost for the emulator packages that are already in debian, and free software is
free software...

In case you did not get it yet, I think this would be a stupid thing, debian is about
Un*x, Linux, *BSD software. Do we have DOS compilers as well? What about loadlin?
The source(!) package contains a compiled loadlin.exe, but it also contains the source.
The makefile says: To compile with Borland TASM 3.1. In case that assembler is still
available, is it free software? Don't you need to run DOS to use it?

But I guess thats what the "editorial" changes were about, lets throw out all the
documentation, that should free up lots of space which we can fill with useless (for
debian) software. And while we are at it, let's shoot ourselves in the other foot as
well by throwing out all the boatloaders... isn't loadlin used on every bootable i386 CD?

Christian