Re: GTK frontend updated in SVN

On 11/4/05, Viti Davide <Davide.Viti@siemens.com> wrote:
> > so we should be able to test GTK FE on every arch, right? any success
> story on archs different from i 386 and PPC yet?
>
> Cdebconf-gtk needs to be built automatically for the various arches and
> become available on the various mirrors (looks like we're almost there
> and it's probably a matter of a couple of days)
>
> As far as arch support is concerned, I took a quick look at other
> installers and (obviously) we need support at least for i386, ppc, amd64
> to be up to date with other distros
>
> Anyway:
>
> * I386 is ok
> * We ne need a clean powerpc build with proper library reduction
> (#335713 needs to be fixed to achieve it)

I wonder why the bug was cloned and reassigned to binutils instead of
being directly assigned to binutils? Maybe because it is visible when
using mklibs?
Wouldn't it make sense to merge the bugs?

On the ppc issue, I will wait for the new cdebconf-gtk udeb and
rootskel-gtk to hit sid and will build another image for ppc as soon
as they are available and with MKLIBS=mklibs-copy.

Frans, do you think it is reasonable to add the MKLIBS=mklibs-copy
line to the gtk-miniiso ppc configuration file and commit, as a
temporary workaround?

Davide, have you tested the ppc min.iso I made some time ago?
(permissions were set to 600 :-D )

> Don't know if it makes sense to port it to other arches, but I think
> I'll work on other ports at least for fun :)

Don't want to kill your fun, but I think that porting to other arches
is wasted time, on one hand, and a possible means of finding various
bugs, on the other hand; I would work on debugging the reduction issue
we have on ppc.

--
Regards,
EddyP