Re: ancient ieee80211/ipw2200 drivers in recent kernel (2.6.14)

You (horms@debian.org) wrote:

 >>  >> I've encountered the problem with 2.6.14 kernels: they are shipped
 >>  >> with ancient version of ipw2200 drivers (1.0.0 while current
 >>  >> version is 1.0.7) and ancient version of ieee80211 subsystem
 >>  >> (copyrighted as 2004, so also outdated).
 >>  >>
 >>  >> This breaks compilation of module from ipw2200-source package
 >>  >> (because it links against in-kernel ieee80211).
 >>
 >>  H> I assume the problem you are seeing is a headers problem.
 >>
 >> Ah, yes. The other problem is two copies ipw2200.ko & ieee80211*.ko
 >> modules being installed: the ones included in kernel and others
 >> compiled as external modules. I suppose this may lead to the problems
 >> with depmod.
 >>
 >>  >> Is there way to modularize builds to exclude ieee80211 or just
 >>  >> disable it (along with ipw2200) because it is outdated and current
 >>  >> vesion is shipped in ieee80211-source package?
 >>
 >>  H> Probably the best place to start is to ping netdev to find out if
 >>  H> there are any plans to update IPW2200 in Linus's tree. I've CCed
 >>  H> that list, hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
 >>
 >> So, having in mind the two levels of 'stablenesss': kernel
 >> 'stableness' and modules 'stableness' :) we should find the way to
 >> exclude discussed modules from the build, because in-kernel versions
 >> will always be, erm..., slightly (1.0.0 is mentioned only as 'stone
 >> age' in the mailing list of ipw2200 developers) outdated due to fact
 >> integration and testing gets some time in upstream kernels. I propose
 >> just to disable compilation of this drivers: everyone will be able to
 >> compile the recent version using ipw2200-source we provide.

 H> I don't have a particular problem with disabling those drivers from the
 H> build. But the d-i guys might. I've CCed them for comment (and dropped
 H> the netdev CC).

Do the license on ipw2200 allow d-i to distribute drivers in binary
form (copyright file claims it is GPL2, but if so I don't undestand
why don't we do pre-built modules for the kernels)? If so, d-i team
really should consider packaging updated driver along the d-i kernel.

--
Mikhail Gusarov
ICQ UIN: 111575219