Re: GTK frontend updated in SVN

On Friday 28 October 2005 10:24, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> Shall the progressbar be NEWT-like (title above it, current action
> below it) or GNOME HIG-compliant (current action displayed inside the
> progressbar, title displayed above it) ?

I do hope that the people who are voting for Gnome HIG-compliant have
actually tested the graphical installer before giving their opinion.

I feel that displaying messages inside the progress bar may not be the
best choice here because:
- some of the messages are quite long
- some are shown only for a very short time
- having them centered in the progress bar makes them jump around a lot,
  which is very distracting and makes them even less readable then they
  are in the newt front end where they are right/left aligned.

I feel having messages in a progress bar is fine if they are something
like:
  initializing - configuring - installing - finishing
and stay visible for a while.
But when they are:
  downloading and installing package <very long package name with version>
it becomes a lot less obvious to do it that way.

Maybe it is a design problem in d-i, but OTOH it _is_ what the GTK
frontend will have to work with for the time being...

Christian, what do you say as our professional user-interface guy?

Cheers,
FJP