Re: Lossless repartitioning from Win32

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 02:57:30 +0200, Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl>
wrote:
>> Problem: I need to create new partitions for Linux.  Various sections
>> of the Debian docs (e.g., "3.5.1.1. Lossless Repartitioning When
>> Starting From DOS, Win-32 or OS/2") appear to claim that I can resize
>> my existing NTFS partition, leaving room for my Linux partitions.
>
>The paragraph in the manual you want is this [1]:
>If your machine has a FAT or NTFS filesystem, as used by DOS and Windows,
>you can wait and use Debian installer's partitioning program to resize
>the filesystem.

One thing that has been helpful at Installfests is to use Windows one
last time to delete as much garbage (temp files, IE cache, old .ISOs
etc.) as possible and then defrag the partition before rebooting with
the Debian CD. The partition resizer in Sarge seems happiest when it has
plenty of clear area at the end of the drive to work with.  --Don