Re: [Debian-ppc64-devel] Successful installation in an OpenPower 720 Express

Hi Sven, *.

Sven Luther wrote:
On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 03:32:48PM +0200, Harald Görl wrote:
2. A directory /ppc/chrp/ and a "yaboot" executable at the place which is given in bootinfo.txt. In this example in /ppc/chrp/. If you place the yaboot executable in another dir, that is fine but you MUST have this directory /ppc/chrp/ which could also be empty.

Well, i guess you could call it whatever you want, provided you use that name
in the bootinfo.txtx above ?

Yes, i think that's correct.

3. A directory for yaboot configuration, which is /etc/ with the yaboot config "yaboot.conf" in it, containing something like this:

init-message = "\nWelcome to Debian/GNU Linux on OpenPower\nPress <TAB> Key for boot options.\n"
timeout=600
default=linux

image=/vmlinux
   label=linux
   initrd=/initrd.gz
   read-only

That we have, no problem. It needs to go into /etc/yaboot.conf, not into
/install/yaboot.conf like it does right now ?

The yaboot version i use is looking at /etc/, but i never tried /install...

So we need to add the bootinfo.txt file, and have the boot-device there point
to yaboot (probably <boot-script>boot &device;:\install\yaboot</boot-script>
should be just fine, copy the /install/yaboot.conf to /etc too, just in case,
and make sure we add the -U call to mkisofs.

Yes, that would be fine i think.

Mmm, i indeed checked the debian-cd code, and -U is not in there. That said,
-U is :

       -U     Allows "Untranslated" filenames, completely violating the
	iso9660 standards described above. Forces on the -d, -l, -N,
	-allow-leading-dots, -relaxed-filenames, -allow-lowercase,
	-allow-multidot and -no-iso-translate flags. It allows more than one
’.’ character in the filename, as well as mixed case filenames. This is useful on HP-UX system, where the built-in CDFS filesystem
	does not  recognize  ANY  extensions.  Use with extreme caution.

Do we really need that ? And will it not break any other subarches we try it
on ?

No "really good" answer for that, sorry. The "-U" came from an old description from penguinppc.org, i think. I will try it without it...

Harald