Re: Re: switch from Reiserfs to ext3: Grub or LILO won't install

> I installed the amd64 version of Sarge. I chose Reiserfs, did my testing
> and installed it again on a ext3 partition.
>
>Which version of sarge?

I downloaded this one: debian-31r0a-amd64-binary-1.iso dated June 13.

> Now Grub won't install:
> The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly
> (/boot actually doesn't exist)
>
>What partitions do you have?
>Especially, does /boot not exist because you have a /boot partition?
>This should be mounted in /target/boot while installing!

partition 1: /  (70 Gb)
partition 2: /swap (3 Gb)

I don't have a /boot partition. Should I try it?

> same for LILO. It hangs at
> Setting up LILO 22.6.1-6.2
>>
>> I tried everything from automatic partitioning to manually creating
>> partitions.
>
>How did you manually partition?
>With fdisk, cfdisk, parted or some DOS/Windoze partitioner?

I only used the partitioner which comes with the installer.
I tried the automatic partitioning and creating them myself.
I also tried a setup with a swap partition first and then the / partition.

>Did you try to
>> I also cleared the MBR using:
>> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024 count=1
>>
>> Nothing helps. Interesting part is when I reinstall on a Reiserfs
>> partition again, Grub installs fine.
>
>Did you try to format the partition manually with ext3 before installing?

No, I did not. There's clearly a progress bar when the partition is
formatted and all the files are installed fine. Just installing the boot
loader fails.
Should I try formatting manually with a Knoppix cd?

>> It's a RAID5 setup. When installing on Reiserfs I don't need to do
>> anything special so I don't see why ext3 would be different.
>
>I assume this is a hardware RAID 5 controller.
>The filesystem type shouldn't matter.

Yes, it's an Adaptec 21xx controller

thanks,
Anne