In preparation for 2.6.13 - initrd issues

Hello,

As you probably know, the 2.6.13 kernel is out, and we are facing some problems with packaging it for Debian. A major change compared to 2.6.12 is the discontinued support for devfs, which, I understand, renders current initrd-tools unusable. As I see it, there are two major problems which need to be taken care of:

1. Choice of the alternative tool for initrd generation and management.
The alternatives I've heard about so far are yaird and initramfs (it appears that initramfs is not only the name of the new initrd filesystem but also the tool which is used to generate it). Yaird is heavily advocated by Sven Luther, but it would be nice to hear all pros and cons of both packages. It appears that both of them generate initrds in the new (initramfs) format which is essentially a cpio archive of all files. One difference mentioned is that yaird may be configured to do the install-time detection of required modules, and included only them into the initrd (similarly to initrd-tools). It is also claimed that the yaird code is easier to maintain. On the other hand, initramfs can only build an initrd using a fixed set of modules, so we'll need to include all the modules on initrd if we choose to go that way (is it actually true?). That clearly may have undesired consequences for low-memory installs.

2. What changes need to be done to integrate a new initrd-generating tool into the kernel packaging infrastracture. It might be as simple as switching the postinst of kernel packages from running mkinitrd to running yaird. I have no idea what issues may arise in d-i because of that.

The intention of this message is to first identify the changes which need to be done, and then discuss how they should be implemented to satisfy all interested parties (most importantly, the debian-installer team). Please share all the related information, so that we can come up with a reasonable solution and implement it together, so that our users may enjoy the benefits of the latest kernel in Debian.

Thanks and best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org