Re: bug administratif... (administrativ bug found...)

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:52:47AM -0500, Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 12:39:16AM -0500, kristian david wrote:
> > Hi =o)
> >
> > I'm administratively a "NONAME" guy (homeless because of a
> > "Microcephaleous Gates" that is a kind of New-Digital-Nazi of the
> > world... with his friend Ballmy-the-monkey-dancer), and I love realy this
> > new "Sarge" release of your Debian, but I've found a real BAD BIG BUG...
> >
> > I tryed many time to install alternatively Debian/Sarge and Ubuntu Hoary
> > (based on your Debian) In facts: I install Debian on a iMac/G3, and
> > try... (only in mode console X11 does'nt work), and I trash all and
> > install Ubuntu Hoary on the same Hardware (only the Network is not
> > detected), and i re-trash all (because I use Ubuntu just to understand
> > how X11 is configured... LOL), and i re-re-trash all Ubuntu, and
> > re-install Debian .... etc... and so on (ad lib) (like a Whitehouse
> > lyrics - Peter Sotos, Philip Best, and William Bennet...)
> >
> > So, I've finally found the BUG...
> >
> > Ubuntu recognize all my iMac G3 except the Network, but easy to fix with
> > GNOME/interface...  and your EXCELLENT Debian (I mean it) dont recognize
> > my Hardware (specialy the screen ATY Rage 128MB...) but Network is good,
> > and all the Server Parts (applications) are OK...
> >
> > So the bug is ADMINISTRATIVE:
> >
> > WHY, You dont collaborate between the staff of Ubuntu (and reciprocally)
> > to complete the EXCELLENT Debian i love so ?????
> >
> > That's a big question.
> >
> > A old man, homeless (this is true) in french we tell a man like me: "Un
> > Clochard" or "Un Clodo" in a familiar way...
> >
> > best regards, and apologize for my bad english.  (i'm in the french part
> > of Switzerland)
> >
> > Realy I love your system !!!  I mean it.
>
> Thank you very much for your positive feedback and reasoned criticism.
>
> The simple fact is that Ubuntu and Debian do tend to cooperate closely on
> most technical issues.  But each distribution does some things better than
> the other, as is generally true when comparing any two GNU/Linux
> distributions.
>
> The Debian Sarge release uses a program called "discover1" to discern what
> hardware is on the system, so I would encourage you to file a bug report
> against that package describing your problem.
>
> Ubuntu and Debian both use the same installer (debian-installer), which in
> turn uses discover1, so I am not sure why your hardware was detected on one
> but not the other.  Perhaps Ubuntu has made additions to the discover
> hardware database (in the discover-data package) that they haven't
> contributed back yet, or which Debian did not get included in the package
> in time for a sarge release.

Hi Branden, ...

I think from past experience, that this has nothing to do with the installer,
since the only time the graphic card is of interest is during the xfree86
configuration, and i have had similar experience with the ati wrapper not
recognizing my radeon 9200SE cards due to them matching the second head. I
don't rememebr the bug report about this out of hand, but it is over a year
old or so, and was never fixed.

It is well possible that a similar detection problem is present in the XFree86
package, and the fact that it works fine in ubuntu is probably due to them
using X.org, where this bug is absent.

So, the bug is an xfree86 bug, and thus CCing debian-x.

Friendly,

Sven Luther