Re: Help: VFS: cann't open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)

On Thursday 01 September 2005 17:30, weiyun lv wrote:
> Hello, I have asked this question several days ago, now I meet it again
> in debian: when I boot the kernel I compiled I got this error message:
>
> VFS: cann't open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option.

First of all: this is the wrong list for this question; the correct list
would be debian-user.

It looks like you have switched from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6 kernel.
You may want to read:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#s-upgrade-to-2.6

A possible reason for the problem is that the root partition is no
longer /dev/hda2, but is now /dev/sda2.
Use the options to edit lines the grub configuration before booting to try
this. You will also have to change your /etc/fstab.