Re: eth0 and eth1 shifting place

Hello Daniel,

Clearing out old mail backlog currently. Sorry for the delay.

On Friday 10 June 2005 13:01, Daniel Forsell wrote:
> I have another thing I'd like to report which I noticed during the same
> situation with my ethernet adapters.
>
> The installation-kernel in Debian 3.1 uses the driver de4x5 during the
> installation-process to run my D-link ethernet adapter but when the
> system starts the kernel it uses tulip instead. The tulip driver
> refuses to work properly with my D-link which results in a broken
> network. I tried to re-load the de4x5-driver after the installation was
> finished and the network came back up again without any problems and I
> could continue my net-installation. However, the de4x5 seems badly
> updated so using the tulip-driver would be a better option. If we got
> it working that is.. Does woody use the tulip driver or just de4x5?
>
> Is this also a known issue? Is it kernel-specifik or Debian-specifik?
> Or maybe even driver-specific?

It probably depends on what is responsible for loading the module at the
different moments. Could you provide the following information:
- the output of 'lspci' and 'lspci -n' (only the lines for the network
  device are needed)
- what tries to load the tulip driver? it could be either discover or
  hotplug; your kern.log should be able to tell you

Cheers,
FJP