Re: installation/boot trouble in SUPERMICRO P8SAA SATA mode

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 07:22:21AM -0500, Renato Alarcon wrote:
> I'm unable to install/boot debian on a SUPERMICRO P8SAA with SATA
> enabled (both raid 1 and no raid). This is my installation report. Any
> ideas?
>
> Package: installation-reports
>
> Debian-installer-version:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/daily/i386/20050825/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
> uname -a: unavailable
> Date: 05/26/2005
> Method: netinst CD image
>
> Machine: SUPERMICRO P8SAA mobo
> Processor: P4 3.0 MHZ
> Memory: 1GB
> Root Device: SATA DRIVES BOTH IN RAID AND NON RAID MODE
> Root Size/partition table: 160GB , 1GB swap
> Output of lspci and lspci -n:

The lspci info is really helpful since it actually gives us a list of
what hardware you have.  I sure don't know what a supermicro P8SAA uses
as chipset.  I do know how to read lspci output though.

One possibility is that your chipset isn't supported in 2.6.8 yet but of
course ide emulation works fine with ide-generic.

The other posibility is that it would work great as long as you never
turned on pata emulation in the first place and left it in normal mode
during install and use.  You might have to load the sata driver manually
during install, but that isn't too likely, although it does happen with
some new chipsets.

If it is an sis chipset, the driver to load on console 2 during install
would be sata_sis I believe.

Len Sorensen