Re: Debian Sarge Installation on Dell Poweredge 1855

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:33:36PM +0200, David Vincent wrote:
> I'm trying to install Debian Sarge 3.1 on Dell Powerdge 1855 servers.
>
> The installation is successful but when the server reboots I have a kernel
> panic (can't find /dev/console).

That message always shows the sympton of the real problem it usually
lists a few lines above: "Can't mount root filesystem"

Either it didn't load the filesystem driver or it didn't load the driver
for the disk controller, or the device name changed since the install
and the root= is now set wrong (going from 2.4 to 2.6 sata disks often
change from hdx to sdx for example).

> During the installation I have chosen the kernel image 2.6 i386.

Did you boot with default or with linux26 at the boot prompt?

> Do you have any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Look at the boot information and see when it detects disks, what names
they have (if it detects any disks at all).

More info on type of disks and such would help too.

Len Sorensen