amd64 net installer usb-mouse hiccup

Hey I just thought that someone on one of these lists might like to know about a
strange little problem I ran into while installing amd64 Sarge from a netinstall
image the other day on my brand new amd64 system.

The first time I went to install, I breazed through all the menus until I got to
the network initialization. It turned out I had some cabling issues with my
local ethernet. Once I fixed them, I went back and restarted the installation.

Before I rebooted, I realized I didn't have a mouse attached to the box and
moved my usb-optical mouse over to it from my old system so it would be
detected during hardware detection and x configuration.

This time, I only got as far as the country chooser menu. After making my
selection, the screen went solid blue with the light line at the bottom and the
next menu never appeared. I got stuck on this problem for a while. I tried a
number of different times. I tried leaving it on that screen while I ate dinner
in case it was just doing something time consuming. 40 minutes later it was
still showing the blue screen.

I happened to have a Sarge x86 netboot cd around, so I tried that. It didn't
have the same problem. I went right on through the initial menus to the network
configuration like I had my first time. This made me think my CD might be bad,
so I burned another. It had the same problem.

I finally remembered that the first time I tried the amd64 netinstall I didn't
have the mouse attached. I disconnected the mouse and tried again.

This time it worked fine. I sailed through all the menus to the reboot. I
re-attached the mouse while my machine was in bios boot and went on through
task selection and configuring X. I have had no further problems with the
mouse.

So something about the usb mouse is giving the installer problems, but only the
amd64 version (and probably only on my hardware setup)

I imagine that this is going to get filed with the ufo reports, but for the
record, here's the highlights of my hardware setup:
AMD 64 3000+ (Venice)
MSI NF4 K8N NEO4-F
1 gig DDR 400 (2x512)
80GB Sata hard drive
IDE DVD-Rom
Ps2 keyboard
usb mouse (logitec wheelmouse optical)

I hope this is useful to someone. Please CC me in replies as I'm not on these
lists.