Re: r29764 - in trunk/packages/choose-mirror: . debian

Colin Watson wrote:
> Oh, bah, I meant DISTRIB_CODENAME. Sorry, fixing.

Ok at least the change won't affect d-i now as we don't currently
include a DISTRIB_CODENAME (since the d-i "distribution" does not have a
codename..)

> > I don't follow the reasoning that connects DISTRIB_RELEASE with
> > PREFERRED_DISTRIBUTION either. DISTRIB_RELEASE has a specific format and
> > contents required by lsb stuff, while PREFERRED_DISTRIBUTION is whatever
> > debian distribution name we need to set it to today to make d-i work
> > well.
>
> Debian-derived distributions that do code modifications are (I think)
> always going to set DISTRIB_CODENAME to a valid suite name if they
> modify lsb-release. It's an obvious single place to look to get the
> current suite name. In Ubuntu I added an lsb-release-udeb so that we
> could get at it from d-i easily, but setting it at initrd build time
> works just as well; the general idea was to save derivatives from having
> to rebuild choose-mirror just to fiddle with PREFERRED_DISTRIBUTION.

It still feels weird to me to co-opt the lsb release file to do
something other than provide info about the d-i distribution to
lsb-aware programs. I'd feel sort of the same if apt began defaulting to
reading /etc/lsb-release and installing the distribution there.

> > Now, we could add an internal-use debconf question instead of the
> > hardcoded PREFERRED_DISTRIBUTION string or something like that..
>
> That's slightly better than the hardcoded string certainly, but I think
> using DISTRIB_CODENAME makes sense and is less work for people building
> derivatives (because it's the same amount of initrd modification to
> fiddle /etc/lsb-release versus adding a preseed, and the former can deal
> with all default-suite-related things at once).

Well I don't know of anything else suite-related in d-i that might look
at this file, which is specific to d-i after all.

--
see shy jo