Re: Unable to enable IDE harddisc DMA on VIA KT 880, VIA VT 8237 chipset

[Please include my email address in replies.]

Hi Goswin,

Thanks for your reply.

It seems to be very module dependent if you need ide-generic or not
and if you want to load it before or after the specific module. Seems
to be a big mess. So there isn't a simple solution like always load
ide-generic last or so.

Would it be possible to for debian-installer to setup specific detected
hardware?  For instance adding via82cxxx to /etc/modules ?

Otherwise, I wonder if there is a document or FAQ which this point and
the other ide_scsi poings could be added to? Perhaps other Debian users
are experencing these problems after their Sarge Install not completly
setting up working DMA IDE drives, and DVD-Writing.

Kind regards
JG