Re: Sarge may be last Debian release for 32 bit sparc systems

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 02:06:46PM -0700, Blars Blarson wrote:
> In my opinion, we should drop support of all 32-bit sparc systems from
> Etch due to lack of people willing to spend the time to support them.
> This doesn't mean that we should delibaratly break things for them,
> but that the interest in continuing to support them is below what is
> needed to keep them as a viable part of Debian.

> Support of sun4c and sun4d was effectivly dropped from Sarge.  The
> only reports trying d-i on this hardware that I remember seeing were
> failures, and noone bother to try to fix it.  Upgrades from Woody may
> work, but were not well tested either.

Were there actually install reports on sun4c and sun4d?  I don't remember
seeing any.  Anyway, AIUI BenC killed these off years ago by changes to how
gilbc was compiled.

> Sun4m is the last supported 32-bit sparc architecture.  Reportedly,
> the 2.6 kernel does not work in multi-processor mode on them, and
> dropping support of 2.4 from Etch is being discussed.

Reportedly, current 2.6 kernels do not work *at all* on sun4m.  This
according to Jurij Smakov, who appears to currently be the sparc kernel
maintainer in Debian.

> Note that lack of hardware is not the problem, if anyone wants some
> sun4m systems (located in Los Angeles) let me know before they wind up
> in the recycle pile.

I have one here; works fine under sarge with a 2.4 kernel.  I have no
intention of spending large amounts of my own time to keep 2.6 viable on
this architecture, though, when as it stands the box I have is only powered
up for use as a porting machine and it can't even be used to build Debian
kernels because depmod bombs out.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer