Re: timeline for beta release

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
> Recall that our timeline for the next beta release had us releasing an
> etch installer with 2.6.12 kernel as default, rescue mode, new languages,
> and whatever other goodies were ready, by the end of this month.

On my side, I won't have much time to do any work related to a release
in the 3 weeks starting barely on August 1st. I'll be partially VAC
these times and will need some time to catchup with mail and Debian
activities when back on August 20th.

i18n is currently in an unknown state for me, especially whether
localized installs work as expected or not, mainly because of
recurrent problems with VmWare on my laptop (the bloody thing does not
seem to be very happy with udev and I need to have it working with
kernel 2.6.12)

So, while this might not be a release blocker, I'm afraid I can't
bring a lot of things to a possible release. I may even be short to
work on a string freeze and the usual translators pushing work to have
them complete the translations.

The only thing I can do is hurrying them to update now inorder to have
a chance to get as much complete translations as possible (they're
have been a lot of string breakages so it might need time), especially
for base-config.

Can we call for a string freeze?