d-i preseeding : problem with static nameserver (resolv.conf) after reboot

Hello,

(Please Cc: me as I am not yet subscribed to debian-boot)

If someone could please tell if I am wrong before I file a bug against
d-i (I didn't find any bugs in the BTS that looks like this).

Briefly:

Using d-i (sarge 3.1r0a CD1 netinst i386) preseeding and static IP, I
see that the nameserver defined in the preseed file is not taken into
account after reboot. Instead, the gateway address is used.

More details:

I have a handful of new servers (HP ProLiant DL360 G4) and I would
like to install them unattended using d-i preseeding. I would like to
use static IP configuration instead of DHCP. Excerpts of my preseed file
(the whole file is at the end of this message):

d-i	netcfg/disable_dhcp	boolean true
d-i	netcfg/get_nameservers	string 10.4.0.3
d-i	netcfg/get_ipaddress	string 10.4.0.18
d-i	netcfg/get_netmask	string 255.255.0.0
d-i	netcfg/get_gateway	string 10.4.0.1
d-i	netcfg/confirm_static	boolean true

d-i	mirror/country		string France
d-i	mirror/http/hostname	string debian.ens-cachan.fr
d-i	mirror/http/directory	string /ftp/debian
d-i	mirror/suite		string sarge
d-i	mirror/http/proxy	string http://proxy:8080

base-config	apt-setup/uri_type	select http
base-config	apt-setup/country	select France
base-config	apt-setup/mirror	string debian.ens-cachan.fr
base-config	apt-setup/another	boolean false
base-config	apt-setup/non-free	boolean true
base-config	apt-setup/contrib	boolean true
base-config	apt-setup/security-updates	boolean true

As you see, I use a http mirror through a proxy server.

After reboot on the disk with the newly installed kernel, the
installation (apt-setup, I guess) fails on the resolution of the
hostname "proxy". If I log on tty2:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search lpn.prive
nameserver 10.4.0.1

It should be 10.4.0.3 as told in the preseed file. If I edit
resolv.conf to correct this and go back to tty1, everything goes on
smoothly as expected.

Does someone have an idea if I am going wrong with something or if
this looks like a bug?

Best regards (and thanks for the wonderful work on d-i).

The whole preseed file:

d-i     netcfg/choose_interface select auto
d-i     netcfg/disable_dhcp     boolean true
d-i     netcfg/get_nameservers  string 10.4.0.3
d-i     netcfg/get_ipaddress    string 10.4.0.18
d-i     netcfg/get_netmask      string 255.255.0.0
d-i     netcfg/get_gateway      string 10.4.0.1
d-i     netcfg/confirm_static   boolean true
d-i     netcfg/get_hostname     string chiwana
d-i     netcfg/get_domain       string lpn.prive
d-i     mirror/country          string France
d-i     mirror/http/hostname    string debian.ens-cachan.fr
d-i     mirror/http/directory   string /ftp/debian
d-i     mirror/suite            string sarge
d-i     mirror/http/proxy       string http://proxy:8080
d-i     partman-auto/disk       string /dev/discs/disc0/disc
d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe string boot-root :: 512 640 1024 ext3 $primary{ } $bootable{ } method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /boot } . 5000 6000 7000 ext3 method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ / } . 2048 3000 200% linux-swap method{ swap } format{ } . 10000 11000 12000 ext3 method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /usr } . 10000 11000 12000 ext3 method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /var } . 40000 48000 1000000000 ext3 method{ format } format{ } use_filesystem{ } filesystem{ ext3 } mountpoint{ /home } . d-i partman/choose_partition select Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
d-i     partman/confirm                 boolean true
d-i     grub-installer/only_debian      boolean true
d-i     prebaseconfig/reboot_in_progress        note
base-config     base-config/intro       note
base-config     base-config/login       note
base-config     tzconfig/gmt            boolean true
base-config     tzconfig/choose_country_zone_single boolean true
passwd          passwd/root-password            password ChangeMeASAP
passwd          passwd/root-password-again      password ChangeMeASAP
passwd          passwd/user-fullname            string Service informatique
passwd          passwd/username                 string si
passwd          passwd/user-password            password ChangeMeASAP
passwd          passwd/user-password-again      password ChangeMeASAP
base-config     apt-setup/uri_type              select http
base-config     apt-setup/country               select France
base-config     apt-setup/mirror                string debian.ens-cachan.fr
base-config     apt-setup/another               boolean false
base-config     apt-setup/non-free              boolean true
base-config     apt-setup/contrib               boolean true
base-config     apt-setup/security-updates      boolean true
tasksel tasksel/first   multiselect
exim4-config exim4/dc_eximconfig_configtype select no configuration at this time
exim4-config    exim4/dc_postmaster             string si

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs              Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
tel      : (+33)1 69 63 61 34                             CNRS UPR 20