Re: S/390 install cd image?

Frans Pop wrote:
(CCing this thread to the debian-boot list as that is where installer development is coordinated)

On Thursday 07 July 2005 21:35, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

Is there a CD install image for debian s/390?  I just acquired a G5
S/390 which I want to get Debian up and running on, and since I don't
have any other OS or tape devices on it, it'd be easiest to install
using the SE laptop CD drive, which I've heard is possible with SuSE
and RedHat's S/390 distributions.

Any towards doing this would be appreciated, even if it's just
instructions on how to build my own bootable S/390 CD. :)

There currently are no S/390 CD's that can be used for installation, only CD's containing packages.

We actually had no idea that it was possible to install from a CD on S/390. We should be able to create an installation CD, but someone will have to feed us the information on what's needed to make the CD bootable and what drivers are required.

If the hercules S/390 emulator also supports booting/installing off CD (or a CD image), information on how to do that would be very welcome too.

So, if you're interested on helping us realize this, you're very welcome.

The only thing missing on the first cd is the subdirectory /boot containing the kernels, initrds and parmfiles. The source of the debian-cd package contains a file tools/boot/woody/boot-s390, that has the code to generate the necessary files for woody. This is supposed to work for sarge as well using the current kernels and initrds.

Gerhard