Re: auto-installing debian on xen on debian with debian-installer preseeding

Phil, this is great stuff. I'd point you at my own preseed setup, but
you seem to have assimilated it..

Philip Hands wrote:
>   debian-installer:
>       the current setup uses side effecting include-commands in a
>       positively abusive manner to set preseed variables under scripted
>       control --- there must be a better way (or we should add one)

I've mostly used the approach of putting such variables in separate
preseed files and limiting the script stuff to decided which file to
include. Maybe that doesn't meet your needs. I'm open to suggestions.

>       I'd like to be able to say "include this preseed file if it exists,
>       but don't give me an error if it doesn't" or alternatively "include
>       this file if it exists, otherwise include that one"

d-i preseed/include_command string if [ -e file.cfg ]; then echo file.cfg; elif [ -e other.cfg ]; then echo other.cfg; else echo /dev/null; fi

We could add some explicit support for this without the ugliness, if
you can come up with a way to write it in the file that makes sense.

>       It would be nice to have a script run late enough in the base-config
>       so that one could reboot (in this case for the first boot into Xen)

base-config/late_command is run just before base-config exits, isn't
that late enough?

BTW, I saw you have a udeb that wraps part of the install process.
What's the details of that?

--
see shy jo