Re: Installation reports: using a network console to remote install sarge

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 04:39, Christian Weeks wrote:
> 4. Create a simple preseed file, with at least the following, and copy
> it to the /tmp directory:
>
> [...]
> d-i debian-installer/network-console/password password password
> d-i debian-installer/network-console/password-again password password

Note that starting from network-console version 0.0.12 you'll need to drop
the "debian-installer/" from these two entries.

> 5. Modify the build/config/local file, add:
> 	EXTRA_FILES=/tmp/<mypreseed.cfg>
>
> This worked fine, except that it wouldn't read the preseed file I'd
> built above. It insisted on querying DHCP. I found out that this is
> because the netboot image does not allow for a _file_ preseed. I had
> to:

The Etch version of the installer supports initrd preseeding which means
that a file preseed.cfg in the root dir of the initrd will be picked up
automatically.

I agree with Christian. It would be very nice if you would create a D-I
wiki page out of this.

Cheers,
FJP