Re: Bug#311143: installation-reports
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Bug#311143: installation-reports
- From: Raylynn Knight <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 01:15:35 -0400
- Message-id: <[🔎] 1117602935.3147.13.camel@mandrake>
- In-reply-to: <995B8D89-D907-4A12-81D0-10E1D3950F8F@cox.net>
- References: <97A2B07F-0533-44A3-B3DE-37856B020279@cox.net> <20050529115810.GQ6047@mykerinos.kheops.frmug.org> <995B8D89-D907-4A12-81D0-10E1D3950F8F@cox.net>
On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 15:40 -0700, Anton Graham wrote:
> On May 29, 2005, at 4:58 AM, Christian Perrier wrote:
> >> The /tools directory on the PPC Netinst disks contains only Windows/
> >> PC tools. A copy of BootX is critical for OldWorld installs.
> > I may sound stupid because I'm ignorant of PPC things, but is it free
> > software ?
> > Anyway, this is more pertaining to the "cdrom" pseudo-package, I
> > guess.
> No, it's not stupid :)
> Yes, it is free software AFAIK. It is available at http://
> penguinppc.org/~benh Any questions regarding licensing (there is no
> statement regarding licensing on his page) should be directed to Ben.
> I did run across another issue after I got the installer running.
> Quik doesn't always work as a boot loader for Old World Macs (I still
> don't have it working on my Beige G3). Because of this I have to
> continue using BootX to boot my linux system. While this is, in
> itself, acceptable, the fact that I had no tools within the installer
> to access HFS or HFS+ partitions, I had some interesting issues
> trying to get my kernel onto the HFS boot partition. I solved this
> by chrooting into the new install to use hfstools. This could have
> been avoided by including the kernel module for the hfs filesystem in
> one of the packages loaded by the installer.
> Thank you.
Same problem here with my Beige G3. I solved the kernel transfer to the
HFS partition problem by using a PCI USB card and a JumpDrive. On my
PowerBook 3400c I used a PCMCIA to CF Card adapter in the same manner.
It would be much easier if the hfs filesystem driver was available in